Mmmmmmm-mulligatawny

This is one of my favorites, if not my favorite soup. I am a big curry fan, but for those of you who don't like it much, but wanna try it out again, this is a good soup to make. It tastes more sweet rather than savory/ spicy. I like to make naan or some really good biscuits to dip into this. I don't know if this is anywhere near authentic, but I would like to think that I have some Indian friends who wouldn't disown me for trying to copy them in the kitchen.

Ingredients (makes 6 big portions):
½ cup chopped onion
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 zucchini, diced (or a carrot)
1 large potato, chopped, skins on

¼ cup Earth Balance Butter

1½ tablespoons flour
1½ teaspoons curry powder
4 cups vegetable broth
1 small apple, peeled, cored and grated (like cheese)
¼ cup cooked, white or brown rice

salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
1 pinch dried thyme
½ cup soy cream, soy, almond or rice milk

1) Saute onions, celery, potato, and butter in a large soup pot for about 5 minutes. Add flour and curry, mix and cook 1 more minute.
2) Add vegetable stock, mix well, and bring to a boil. Simmer about ½ hour.
3) Add apple, rice, salt, pepper, and thyme. Simmer 15-20 minutes.
4) Add cream or milk and simmer for 3 minutes (keep it on a low heat, and mix well during this time because the milk likes to bubble over). Enjoy!
Tweet This

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...