Tangy Sweet Potatoes

I love sweet potatoes so much that I will honestly get angry if someone does not serve them at a Thanksgiving, or Christmas meal. That may seem a little aggressive, but for me it is a marriage of sorts, I wouldn't leave my husband behind, nor will I leave my potato out of all the fun. Regardless, this is yummy, and there are lots of different ways to make it, so I hope you find your favorite one. 


Ingredients (serves 4-6):
4 sweet potatoes, peeled, diced into 1 inch pieces
1 small green apple (you can use any tart apple), peeled, cored and diced or 1 small container of apple sauce (the lunch pack kind. I choose not to remove the peels)

1/4 cup margarine, or Earth Balance Butter
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp curry powder (trust me, it lends a really rich flavor)
1 tsp lime juice

Topping (optional, you can eat the mashed potatoes as is):
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons margarine, or Earth Balance Butter, melted
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)

For Casserole Bake Version:
3) (if using the topping) Place mash in an 8 x 10 (or whatever you like) baking dish. For topping, mix all ingredients in a bowl (it works best just to get messy and crumble it in your fingers). Sprinkle on top of the potato mash.  Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Enjoy!
 
For Mash Version:
1) Dice and peel all vegetables/ fruits and chop into 1 inch pieces. Boil in a large pot of water until tender (about 20 minutes). Mash with a masher until desired consistency. Stir in all other ingredients (except for the topping). Enjoy!
Tweet This

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...