Beet Cake (yes, you read correctly)

Beets, bears, battlestar gallactica (any Office fans?). So, this cake is weird, so weird that I almost didn't make it (that is, until I realized I had received several jarred beets as a gift, and needed to use them). I took the dive and I am so happy I did because this is not only a delicious cake, but a nutritious dessert option as well. I tweaked the heck out of this recipe, and honestly don't remember where I even got it from. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
3/4 cup canola oil
2 cups of beets, chopped 
1 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup of cocoa powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups of flour (I use a mixture of whole wheat and all purpose)
2 tsps of baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup of chocolate chips (optional)
1/2 cup of chopped walnuts (optional)
Icing sugar, for dusting (optional)

1) Puree beets and canola oil in a food processor. Set aside.
2) Mix all other ingredients in a large bowl. Fold in beet mixture with a large spatula.
3) Spread mixture in a 9 x 13 pan, or any other type of pan you like. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 40 minutes. Let stand at room temperature for at least 10 minutes. Enjoy!
Tweet This

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...