Here are some fun food facts that I came across in my internet travels:
- There are about 100, 000 bacteria in one litre of drinking water. Moreover, a glass of tap water has technically been drunk 7 times over before it reached your mouth (gross).
- Some frozen fruits and vegetables have more nutrients than fresh. Why? Because a lot are frozen right away for shipment, whereas many fresh fruits and vegetables must travel great distances prior to reaching the grocery store shelves (so lose more nutrients on the way).
- Temperature can affect appetite, which is why more people gain weight in the winter. In the summer, people tend to drink more water because of the heat, which also helps with weight loss.
- Apples, potatoes, and onions all taste the same when eaten with your nose plugged. Because plugging your nose infringes on taste, similarities are based texture and consistency, of which these three food items are similar.
- The smaller the size of the berry, the sweeter it will taste. A good thing to know on your next berry picking trip :)
- There are 1200 varieties of watermelon.
- To prevent bananas from going brown, put them in the refrigerator (I don't know why I haven't done this before).
- Diet soda has not been proven to aid in weight loss. In fact, it’s been shown to actually increase hunger.