Creamy Brown Rice Pudding (Sweetened with Agave)

I have been trying SO HARD not to eat too much sugar lately. So far I have failed miserably, several times, but I think I have figured out why. It seems that I eat more sugary items on an empty stomach. I know that when I eat a lot of protein-rich, healthy-carb items I don't seem to crave the sugar (probably because I don't crave more quick-fix foods). This brought me to this rice pudding recipe, which is sweetened with a touch of agave, and made protein/carb rich with both the rice, and almond milk. The trick to making this rice pudding creamy is the boiling process which pulls out the starches of the rice, helping to thicken the almond milk. As a child I used to eat a lot of baked rice puddings, but I prefer the stove-top method which seems to make a creamier rice pudding. And BONUS this vegan version does not need eggs to thicken it, just time.

Ingredients (serves 4-6):
1 1/2 cup cooked brown rice (I use shorter-medium grains)
2 cups almond milk
1-2 tbsp agave nectar (I only use one, but if you like it sweet you add more)
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vegan butter (Earth Balance is my favorite), optional (adds some more creaminess, and flavor)
Sliced strawberries, optional

1) In a medium pot, bring cooked rice, and 2 cups of almond milk to boil over medium heat. Allow to boil for about 8 minutes, while stirring, or until it reduces slightly. Reduce heat to a simmer, add the remaining ingredients (except for the butter and strawberries) and begin stirring until the almond milk condenses, and turns creamy (8-10 minutes). The trick is to keep stirring so that the starches can come out of the rice (think risotto). Once thick, and creamy, stir in the vegan butter, if using. Allow the pudding to rest for a few minutes, stir and serve with strawberries, or other fruit, if desired. Enjoy!

Tweet This

2 comments:

  1. I love this recipe! I cannot wait to try it!! Come check out my blog http://herbalparenting.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks vary beautiful and sweaty.....
    To Read more, click here... How To Thicken Pudding? Easy Guide To Thicken Pudding?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...