Grandma's Orange Biscuits

This is the first recipe I made from the 'Lost and Found' cookbook that my grandmother used. You can read the post about this discovery by clicking "here". I was amazed on how delicious, and easy they were, even with a few 'vegan' modifications. These are a pretty standard biscuit, but with a sweet, orange-y surprise in the center with the addition of an orange juice soaked sugar cube. That's why I picked this recipe because I had to know what happened with the sugar cube in the center...Did it melt? Did it stay intact in the center (which would have tasted crunchy and weird)? Did it do anything; more of a cheap baking trip to tempt you into making the biscuits? Well, my greatest hopes were met as the sugar cube not only melted into the biscuit, but crystallized on the top. To be honest, I think this is something to consider for 'sweet' biscuits in the future because, for me, it was even more appetizing to get varied bites (in regards to sweetness). So, thanks again Grandma for such a delicious find!

Ingredients (makes about 7'ish biscuits):
2 cups flour (I just went for it and used all purpose white flour)
4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt (I used about 1/2 tsp sea salt)
4 tbsp vegan butter, melted
3/4 cup milk alternative (I used almond milk)
1-2 tsp orange zest
orange juice
sugar cubes

1) Whisk flour, baking powder, salt and zest together. Drizzle melted butter on top, and slowly add milk, mixing with a fork until it begins to come together. Knead with your hands until a giant ball is formed (about 5 minutes). Break into 7 pieces (or as many as you would like), and roll in your hands until a ball is formed. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
2) Dip sugar cubes in the orange juice and press them into the center of the biscuits. Brush the biscuits with some orange juice. Bake in a 425 degree oven for 20 minutes, or until they are lightly browned on the bottom. Allow to stand for about 10 minutes. Enjoy on their own, with a bit of vegan butter, or some jam. YUM!!! Enjoy!
Tweet This

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...