Sweet Coconut Rice and Black Beans

I got this recipe from a book called "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Vegan Living". Coconuts: not just in your alcoholic beverages. This is insanely good. I would gladly live life in a straight jacket if I knew that this would be served to me. I don't really know how that connection was made, and after saying it I wonder if these recipes will have any credibility as long as my tongue is wagging. However, I assure you, my mouth will remain open to foster this sweet rice dish!

Ingredients (Serves 4-6):
4 cups water
2 cups brown, or white jasmine rice
2 tblsp of ginger, grated
1 tblsp garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 can canned coconut milk
Juice of 1 orange
Juice of 2 limes
1 tblsp sesame oil
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup orange bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup green onions, diced
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1/3 cup sliced almonds

1) In a large saucepan combine water, rice, ginger, garlic, salt, and pepper. Bring to boil then cover and lower heat. Simmer for 20 minutes or until all water is absorbed and rice is cooked (it may take another 1/4 cup- 1/2 cup of water, depending on the rice). Take off of the heat and set aside for 10 minutes.
2) In a large bowl, mix rice with all of the other ingredients. Fold gently. You can eat this cold or warm.
Tweet This

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...