Maple Lentil Loaf


I don't know why, but 'loafs' make me laugh. Honestly, when I think about them I almost die laughing. The concept of squishing a bunch of nonsense into a loaf seems so nonsensical albeit disgusting. Actually, I can't even pin point what the deal is in regards to me laughing because I always make loafs. I am actually laughing while typing this. Maybe it is the word "LOAF" that I don't like? Nonetheless, this veggie loaf is good.....and should not be laugh worthy, I hope.


Ingredients (serves 6):
1/3 cup sesame seeds
1 tblsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeno, ribs and seeds removed, finely diced
2 cups cooked lentils
1 cup cooked brown rice
1/8 cup of maple syrup or vegetable stock (The maple syrup gives it a nice sweet flavor)
1/2 cup cooked oatmeal
1 tsp Italian seasoning
2 tblsp nutritional yeast (you can get this in the organic section, or bulk area of your grocery store. THIS IS NOT REGULAR YEAST, it is completely different, and adds a cheesy flavor)
2 tblsp ketchup
2 tblsp soy sauce

Sauce:
3/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup dijon mustard

1) Saute onions and oil in a pan (until translucent). Add jalapeno, and garlic and quick saute for 1 minute (make sure not to burn the garlic).
2) Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Lightly grease a loaf pan (or use a silicone loaf pan). Shape mixture into loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes (in total, you need to remove it at 45 minutes).
3) In sauce pan, saute maple syrup and dijon mustard until bubbling.  Remove loaf from the oven and add 1/2 of the sauce on top. Bake for an additional 15 minutes.
4) Remove loaf from the oven. Let sit for 5 minutes. Cut into 6 cutlets. Put a tablespoon of remaining sauce on each cutlet (the sauce will need to be reheated on the stove top). Enjoy!
Tweet This

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...