Energizing Citrus Soap

I am no soap expert, but that doesn't stop me from making it at home, adding ingredients that work for my sensitive skin (unlike many of the store brands I have purchased). This is a an easy to make soap (yes, you can do it) that is all natural, great for sensitive skin, and contains energizing ingredients that will help wake you up in the morning.

Ingredients (makes 1 bar of soap):
1 glycerin soap bar/ base (I buy mine from bulk stores)
1 tsp citrus juice (I like grapefruit)
10 drops of citrus essential oil (I like lemon, or orange)
1 tbsp fine, dried orange or lemon zest (optional; just acts like a pumice. I dry the citrus peels then blend them until a powder is made).

double boiler
soap mold (The best soup molds are the ones that are flexible, such as silicone equipment. You can also use empty cans, or cardboard cartons)
Petroleum Jelly, or olive oil

1) Melt the soap base, and juice in a double boiler (a glass bowl over a boiling pot of water) until it is completely melted. You can also use the microwave (at 15 second intervals). Once melted, add in the essential oil, and pumice. This creates a non-transparent soap. If you prefer a transparent soap, do not add the juice, heat on low, and make sure to cover the bowl so that water does not evaporate. Pour the mixture into your chosen 'greased' (with jelly or oil) soap mold, and allow it to cool. Once cooled, put it in the fridge for about 15 minutes to help release it from the mold. After, bend mold to release the soap, cut into desired slices, and wrap with plastic wrap, or place in a container that will allow the soap to stay dry. Enjoy!

Tweet This

1 comment:

  1. I love it! I have been wanting to make my own soap for AGES & have been collecting recipes but this is SOOO easy! Think I'll do it this weekend...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...