Rustic Rosemary-Lime Crackers

I had wanted to make my own crackers for a long time, but I just didn't have the time. This weekend I vowed I would, and now I am saddened by the fact I waited so long. These are delicious, surprisingly easy to make, and can be tweaked in all sorts of ways. I used a mixture of white and whole-wheat flour, but you could use all white, or even a gluten-free flour. These are simply flavored with lime and rosemary, which may seem like an odd combo, but trust me it taste delicious. These would also taste great with some garlic, or other herbs as well. You can make them as big, small, rustic, thin, or thick as you like, but either way, you will be happy that you did!


Ingredients (makes a baking sheet of crackers):
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup nutritional yeast (gives a slight 'cheesy', pleasing flavor)
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp dried rosemary, crushed in fingers
3/4 tsp sea salt
1/3 cup lime juice
1/4 cup water
3 tbsp olive oil
sea salt (to sprinkle)

1) In a large bowl, mix together all of the ingredients, except for the juice, water, oil and sea salt garnish. Add the juice, water and oil, stirring until dough comes together (you may need to add just a bit more water, until the dough combines, but not much because you don't want the dough to be sticky). Halve the dough.
3) Roll the dough halves out as thin as you can with a rolling pin (the thinner, the better). It takes a lot of muscle, but you can do it! Sprinkle with additional sea salt, and roll the salt in slightly. Place the rolled out dough on parchment lined baking sheets. Score the dough with a butter knife, any size you like (I like making rustic rectangular shapes).
4) Bake crackers in 400 degree oven, for 15-20 minutes, until they are lightly browned, and slightly crisp. Let them cool (where they will continue to crisp). Break apart, and enjoy!

Tweet This

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...