Soda Apple Dumplings

I recently found a fuller fat/ sugar recipe that inspired this recipe. It was Tasty Kitchen's "Easy Apple Dumplings", made by Ree herself! Truth be told, I have NEVER made these particular ones, but they looked absolutely delicious, I just had a difficult time justifying the butter (vegan thing was in the way) and the sugar (even though I wanted to). So, I not only veganized the recipe, but increased the apples, used 1/2 the amount of sugar, used a healthier vegan butter, and reduced the original amount significantly. I also used Sprite, but you can use any pop you like (such as Ginger-ale, 7-up, really any lemon-lime soda, or the original Mountain dew). Also, did you know Pillsbury crescent rolls are vegan??? Neither did I. I just found out when researching for this recipe. Because I have not tried the original recipe, I can't really comment about whether or not these taste as good as the original, but I will say this recipe is incredibly indulgent, without 'all' of the guilt. 


Ingredients (serves 8):
3 apples, cored, peeled and thinly sliced
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
2 cans Reduced Fat Pillsbury Crescent Rolls (there are other vegan brands too)
1/2 cup vegan butter (My favorite is Earth Balance)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
3/4 can of soda (I use a Stevia sweetened ginger-ale, but you can use any pop you like)

1) In a small saucepan, bring sugars, and butter to a boil. Remove from heat and add extract. Set aside.
2) In a bowl, toss apple slices with the cinnamon and nutmeg. Remove the crescent dough from the container, and keep them in rectangles (to triangle pieces remain together). Fill the crescent rolls with 1/8 amount of the apples. Place them in an 9 x 13, lightly greased glass dish.
2) Pour the sugar mixture over-top of the rolls. Pour the soda on the edges of the rolls. Place in a 350 degree oven, and bake for 40 minutes. Serve warm, with vegan ice-cream, if desired, and enjoy!


Tweet This

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...