Nut Butter Tofu over Coconut Dream Rice

Sometimes the best dishes are the ones that focus on comfort. I just spent 1 hour walking home in the pouring rain. I usually am smart enough to carry an umbrella with me, but because this morning looked so sunny and gorgeous, I made the faulty assumption that the rest of the day's weather conditions would be the same. Turns out, right when I began my journey home, God decided it would be hilarious to not only rain, but to literally cover me in thunder shower madness. Initially, I was going to make something uber healthy on consideration I planned on running 7km tonight, but on account of my drenched clothes, I decided to make this dish....and not bother with my run (I'll try and make up for it tomorrow). This was so tasty and satisfying, so much so that I honestly get wait to eat it tomorrow for leftovers. I purposefully created it in such a way that it wouldn't be too finicky, and entirely messy, because that's how I like comfort!

Ingredients (serves 4):
1 can coconut milk (for marinade)
1 package of tofu (preferably 'prepared'), sliced into 8 slices
oil for frying (about 1 tbsp)

1/2 cup peanut butter, or almond butter (I have yet to try cashew butter)
1/8 cup soy sauce
1/8 cup lime juice
1/8 cup rice vinegar (you can also use additional lime juice, or all rice vinegar)
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp agave nectar
1/2 tbsp fresh, minced ginger
1 tsp hot sriracha sauce (optional, but soooo good!)

1 cup rice uncooked rice (I use a brown short grain rice)
coconut milk (from marinade; about 1 1/2 cups)
1 cup water
a pinch of sea salt and pepper

3/4 cup toasted coconut (just gently toast it over medium heat, on a skillet, until lightly browned)
chopped green onion (optional)

1) After slicing the tofu, place the cutlets in a shallow dish and pour the can of coconut milk over top. Allow the tofu to marinade for at least 1 hour. Set aside.
2) Whisk together all other ingredients (other than the coconut rice ingredients). Set aside.
3) Place the rice in a pot, or a rice cooker, along with the coconut milk (use to marinade), water, and sea salt. Allow to simmer according to the rice package instructions. Once finished, toss with half of the toasted coconut, and set aside.
4) On a large pan, heat the tbsp of oil, and lightly brown both sides of the tofu cutlets (about 5 minutes per side). Pour the peanut butter mixture on top, and allow to simmer for an additional 3 minutes, ensuring the both sides of the tofu are covered. If you heat the peanut butter for too long, it will begin to 'crust', so make sure that you just heat it through. Once heated, place a healthy amount of rice on the plate, top with tofu, and an extra drizzle of the peanut sauce. Follow with the reserved toasted coconut and green onion. Enjoy!
Tweet This

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...