"Crock-Pot" Barbecue Lentil Stew with Sweet Potato

I haven't pulled my crock-pot out for at least a couple of years. I honestly had to wipe the dust off of it before I used it. The minute I started cutting up the vegetables, and just chucking them into the pot, I knew that I should have pulled it out a LONG time ago! This stew is really delicious; a great comfort food as Fall approaches. I currently have a cold, which prompted me to use the crock pot in the first place. This may mean that I over seasoned the heck out this soup, but my husband thought it was great the way it was.

 Ingredients (serves 4-6):
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 large sweet potato, cubed
2 carrots, chopped
2 cups fresh spinach
1 can mixed beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup lentils (I used red)
1/3 cup quinoa (optional, you can also add some more lentils)
2 jars tomato sauce (I used an organic sauce that has a 'spicy' kick to it)
1 1/2 jars water
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp sea salt
lots of pepper
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup your favorite barbecue sauce

Extra barbecue sauce for drizzling



1) Place all of the ingredients in a cock pot, and allow to cook on the 6 hour setting. Once finished, remove the bay leaves and scoop into a bowl. Drizzle with extra barbecue sauce and enjoy :)


Tweet This

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...