Sweet Potato and Coconut Soup

This recipe is adapted from the LakeFamilyRecipes site, which was adapted from the "Eat Shrink and Be Merry" cookbook. The original recipe is so close to be vegan, that I knew I had to try it out. This is a deliciously creamy soup that is sweet enough for picky eaters, but interesting enough for the adults. This reminds me of another recipe on my blog called "Peanutty Sweet Potato Stew", but without the tomatoes. Both are delicious, and both can be tweaked with whatever you have in your fridge (I did).

*** Update, so SAD! Whenever I make a soup, I have a tendency to leave it in the pot overnight. Truth be told, that doesn't seem to matter with the more vegetable based soups, but a soup with coconut milk....that's just asking for trouble. I woke up this morning, ready to pack some of this delicious soup for lunch, and lo-and-behold it was sitting, outside of the fridge, staring at me in disappointment. I really wanted more of it, so naturally I blamed my husband.

Ingredients (serves 4-6):
1 tsp oil
1 tsp vegan butter (or more oil)
1 medium onion, diced
1 red bell pepper seeded and chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped (the original recipe calls for 3/4 cup celery)
1 huge sweet potato, or a couple of smaller ones (the original recipe calls for 2 large sweet potatoes), diced
3/4 tsp ground curry, cumin, and coriander
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
3-4 cups vegetable stock (the original recipe calls for 2, but it depends on how thin you like it)
1 can coconut milk
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp peanut butter
1 tsp agave, or 1/2 tbsp brown sugar (the original calls for 1 tbsp brown sugar)
1 tbsp lime juice

1) Saute the onion in the oil and butter (if using) over medium heat. Once the onion becomes translucent, add the peppers, the sweet potato, and seasonings. Saute for about 1 minute. Add the ginger and garlic, along with the stock and milk. Allow to simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the potatoes become soft.
2) Add the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, then mash slightly with a potato masher (or if you want a softer soup transfer to a blender). Enjoy over rice, or on its own :)



Tweet This

1 comment:

  1. This was absolutely delicious. I came across the recipe while looking for a mix of green bell peppers and coconut milk. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...